Wednesday 4 May 2011

Brush Strokes

Back at work and laid rather low with a horrible cold, I've been rather quiet of late. And to make matters worse I hurt my back during a coughing fit, so painting has been put on the backburner. But enough of the excuses! Despite all that, I have managed to produce one painting of a rather splendid fox.

The subject material was supplied by my friend Lindsay who snapped the creature as it sat on her garden shed in snow-covered Golders Green last winter. Here's the photo below.

Photo credit: Lindsay Fitzpatrick
And here follows the photos of the painting as it progressed.

     
Charcoal sketch

Fox in snow - one


Fox in snow - two




Fox in snow - final (25.5cm x 30cm)
Happy birthday, Lindsay, if you get to read this on your travels across Australia. Perhaps you'll bring me back a photo of a koala to paint.


I also took delivery of my very first giclee prints (of the 'Cows in Dorset' painting) and I am thrilled with the quality – the colours are hardly distinguishable from the original. The image is A3 size on high quality Hahnemuhle Bamboo paper (290gsm) and I have seven available for purchase on Folksy.
Here's a reminder of what the painting looks like.

Cows in Dorset
There's quite a few arty events going on around here too. We've got the Cookham Arts Festival, which kicks off next week, during which artists open up their houses to the public and I intend to have a good nose around this year. First, though, this Saturday (7th May), there is Art on the Street in Maidenhead, where artists set up stall for the day and have the chance to sell their work in an affordable way. I'm definitely going to give that a go one day. I'm also dipping my toe into the exhibition scene with a small selection of older paintings at a local Rotary Club exhibition in Pangbourne in a couple of weeks.  Where Catherine Middleton went to school I do believe....



No comments:

Post a Comment