Tuesday 29 March 2011

Dead Wood

Well folks, I find myself starting the sixth and final week of my sabbatical - people said it would fly by and it has. But what amazing weather we've had this week and some great opportunities to take more pics in the bright sunlight.

Last week didn't turn out to be as productive as I'd hoped. Firstly, looking after a three year old with the snottiest cold I've ever encountered took priority (it's strange how they can't blow their own noses!),  and secondly, even when I did manage to escape to my studio, a faulty house alarm over the back disturbed me with its incessant whirring. Grr! What makes it even more galling is that no-one even lives in the house, so I became Mrs Angry of Maidenhead and have complained to the council about it.

In between all that and some very welcome visits from friends, I did manage to finish the painting of the Water Garden at Cliveden (the National Trust site just up the road) and one of a view along a hedgerow. Here they are:



Water Garden, Cliveden (14"x18")


Initial sketch of Ploughed field near Cookham (14"x18")
Ploughed field near Cookham (14"x18") (in progress)
Ploughed field near Cookham (14"x18") 


Also last week someone suggested I enter some pictures into a small exhibition in May. This turned out to be tougher than I thought because when I turfed out long-forgotten canvases and cast a critical eye over them, many seemed quite disappointing to me now. This was a bit of a shock because I remember thinking at the time that they were pretty good, but at the same time I can now see how my work has improved. Anyway, following this exercise I've decided to have a clear out: I'll sand down, prime and reuse old canvases instead of letting them take up valuable space.

Oh, there was one other thing, I now have a website where people can view my not-so-bad work. http://www.karendaviesart.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment