Tuesday 22 March 2011

Branching out

With the equinox now behind us spring is in the air, so I took advantage of the improved light to get out on Sunday and take some photos of the stunning scenery surrounding Cookham Lock, a lesser known backwater on The Thames.


The first blossoms are appearing and with a lovely mackerel sky (I've been itching to paint one of those for ages), I'm confident that finally I've bagged some more suitable pics to work from later on. Good job too because I'm fast running out of resource material.

As for the paintings I was working on last week, I've completed 'Tall trees' and 'Big tree'. As you will see I couldn't resist adding some patches of blue sky to the latter, but I think it works.

Tall trees, Burnham Beeches (12"x16")

Big tree, Burnham Beeches (18"x14")

I wanted to paint something slightly different next so I went back to look at my photos of Cliveden (alas taken on a gloomy day) and plumped for a view of the watergardens from between two unusual trees. This is the first time that I've painted water and I've been surprised at how effective the various colours reflected in the pond have been. 

Water garden, Cliveden (18"x14") (unfinished)


Water garden, Cliveden (still not finished)
Another first for me is to have some giclee prints made from an original painting. The beauty of this is that you can have your work reproduced to a high quality to sell or exhibit but don't have to part with the originals; useful if you don't have a large body of work. To test the water I have chosen a big painting of some cows in Dorset to be printed on A3 paper. It's a costly process: I've had to ship the original to Bristol to be photographed professionally (using a £25,000 camera no less) and then the high resolution image can be used to produce as many prints, at any size on any type of paper, that you wish. Anyway, here is the painting I refer to and I just hope it's worth the expense!

Today I am also publishing my website, at the moment it's just a gallery, but I will be adding greetings cards and prints soon.

Cows in Dorset, 2009







No comments:

Post a Comment